Do you ever feel like you are continually behind on home maintenance and cleaning tasks? Does the “honey do” list keep getting longer? You can quickly catch up by calling in a handyman from Xpert Home Services then stay on top of things using this list of Home Maintenance Hacks!
- Use denture cleaner to remove toilet bowl stains.
- Apply car wax to tiled areas to keep them cleaner longer.
- Place your shower curtain liner in the washer. Include a towel to have a scrubbing effect. You can even use bleach. Just be sure to hang it to dry (no dryer).
- Use canned air to clean your exhaust fan.
- Use a bleach pen to clean grout.
- Unclog drains with Alka Seltzer. Let the bubbles unclog your bath, shower, and sink drains without using harsh chemicals.
- Remove shower head hard water buildup with vinegar in a bag. Attach a bag filled with vinegar to your shower head, secure with rubber band and let it sit for a while to remove any build up.
- Apply rain repellant windshield sealant to clean glass shower doors to reduce soap buildup.
- Pull your refrigerator out at least an inch from the wall. This will extend the life of the appliance and reduce your energy usage by as much as 40%.
- Loosen microwave stains before wiping with white vinegar in a coffee cup. Microwave for three minutes, then wipe off all surfaces with a damp cloth.
- Spray freezer walls with cooking spray to prevent ice build up in your freezer. Let it sit a few minutes and wipe it off. The residue that remains will stop ice build up.
- Microwave your kitchen sponge to sanitize and prevent contaminating surfaces. Microwave a wet sponge in your microwave for two minutes. (Be sure that it is wet, as a dry sponge in the microwave is a fire hazard).
- Polish stainless steel with WD-40 to get a shine without spots.
- Get an automated vacuum and set it to run daily in the room that requires the most cleaning. Don’t forget to regularly dump the dirt bin.
- Put baby powder in floor cracks to remove creaks.
- Clean grout lines with bleach gel. Use a bleach pen or toilet bleach gel to restore grout to its original color.
- Clean and freshen your dishwasher with a vinegar cycle. Place a glass in your dishwasher’s top rack with two cups of vinegar and run the dishwasher.
- Clean refrigerator condenser coils with a vacuum to reduce energy consumption and extent the life of your refrigerator.
Walls & Windows:
- Wipe baseboards with a damp dryer sheet after cleaning to resist hair and dust buildup.
- Clean blinds in the bathtub with hot water and automatic dish soap or bleach.
- Turn your air conditioner’s fan on while dusting and vacuuming to capture stirred up dust in the air filter.
- Stop a drafty door with a rolled up towel placed on the floor in front of the door.
- Cover your water heater with an insulation blanket to keep the tank from losing heat.
- Use cooking spray or WD-40 on mower blades to keep grass clipping from sticking.
- Put a tennis ball in your pool to soak up any oils and suntan lotions.
Xpert Home Services has you covered. Before you embark on your next home improvement or maintenance project, speak to the Xperts or call 252-226-9742 to get the job done safely, professionally and at the best cost. After all, your home should reflect your style, your loves and your life and be authentically you; but that doesn’t mean you have to DIY.